Monday, September 25, 2006

VonCon 1993


The photo quality is bad, but here's the dilly-o. Von replied to my last post about where those 19 years have gone. A few of them had quite a few of us writer types ganging up on each other, either at a VonCon (where a spinning fan leapt from a shelf of cookbooks trying to kill me; there were witnesses and I made a girly-scream like Will Smith in I, ROBOT) or out in Virginia at Beth Massie's Pseudocons. Here we all are on a Saturday afternoon on Von's big, giant back porch, left to right, me with hair, Kathleen Jurgens, Don VanderSluis, Rodger Gerberding (who is now Mr. Kathleen Jurgens), Alexa deMonterice (who worked so close to Ground Zero I was frantic on that...day), a trying to hide Beth Massie, Dolly Nickel, Brian Hodge, Bunny & Snake (ok, ok, Jessica and Sean Doolittle), and Cathy Van Patten and then-fiance Jeff Osier. What a crowd. Back in the day, Sean was the new kid at the dance. His third book, RAIN DOGS, is in print now. You can Google most any of these people without getting slapped, but my reading recommendations would be Von's AFTER AGE, Jeff's DRIFTGLIDER, Brian's WILD HORSES (though reading PROTOTYPE was the only text besides Philip K. Dick's personal letters that wanted me to commit suicide, and that's a high compliment), and, hell, where to start with Beth. Her first novel, SINEATER. Her story "Abed" in one of those Skipp & Spector BOOK OF THE DEAD anthologies, like I said, Google away. Dolly & Brian blew out of southern Illinois for Boulder, Colorado (near my own ghosts in Denver) and Sean and Jessica now have Kate and Jack to keep them even busier. Me, I just keep telling my stories or reporting the truth, whichever you want to believe at the time. I thank Christ every day that I got to know these wackos, pictured here on a porch in Hanover Park, October 1993. Wayne

4 Comments:

Blogger Ormondroyd's Encyclopedia Esoterica said...

There ought to be a way to take spirit photographs of science fiction, fantasy and horror writers so we could see the creatures of their imaginations floating above or around them... Like that last scene in the film "Moulin Rouge" (the 1952 John Huston version, not the 2001 pop stars in Edwardian lingerie version) when the people from Toulouse-Lautrec's drawings come to visit at his deathbed. We would look more like ourselves, if we wore our imagination on our face. Think of the time we would save introducing each other; think of the cross-pollination of characters.

Monday, September 25, 2006 6:03:00 PM  
Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

I don't want to know what hovers over my head ... I mean, the drool on my shoulder is bad enough....

DNW (who isn't in THAT picture but is in many others).

D

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pic brings back the memories, Jonny. Memories of having hair. . .

SD

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

There's a motley crew for you.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home