Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Skin of Buildings


Yvonne Navarro, who I have known longer that just about anybody outside of my immediate family and imaginary playmates, going back to 1985 and when we were just starting to, well, I blatantly whored myself, Von, being able to type 3,000 word a minute, simply sent out several hundred stories a day, but that was back in the day. And, yes, the above sentence has about 47 punctuation errors in it, but writing about Von can do that to a guy. A link to her site can be found in the margins, and you can see how she has totally eclipsed my output as of, well, 1987. But we were discussing the fact that the old First District station house is now a building of condos called State Place. She mentioned that even though the old police HQ was gone, that there must still be the ghosts of the victims and the jailed souls hanging around. I was reminded of a line Meyer Meyer tells Steve Carella in one of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books, he ponders "what goes on behind the skin of buildings?" I always look for building that are soon to disappear, and was finally able to get to Wolf Road off the Tri-State Tollway and take some photos of the old Sante Fe Speedway. Richard Chwedyk sent me the radio catch-phrase, "Only one speedway has a track of clay and you aint seen nothin' 'til you been to Sante Fe." Sante Fe Springs was a town lost once Route 66 died, but Sante Fe was around until just a decade or so ago. I passed the building back in June on my way to that funeral in Hampshire, and knew if I didn't get the photo soon, the building would collapse in the next big storm. From the Tri-State, you can see the sign but not be aware that it is attached to a building. There is residential housing nearby, the suburb is now Burr Ridge, and an older woman in a muu-muu watched me take photos with my friend Ray (who drove me there), as if we were Al-Queda scoping out local monuments. Which, as far as I'm concerned, the Sante Fe Speedway sign is. Wayne

5 Comments:

Anonymous Yvonne Navarro said...

Gosh, that really was 1987, wasn't it? The first time we met, you had one of those tomato with vodka and celery drinks for breakfast, and I was being called "Ivan" by some ditzy hotel clerk. Where the HECK did those 19 years go??!

Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Maines said...

Santa Fe Speedway is in the category of Things Chicago People (of a certain age) Know, like the phone number for Bouschelle (sp?) Carpet Cleaning--HUdson 3-2700, and you sing it, not say it--where Riverview was, and what Ray Rayner was likely to find when he opened the closet.

I am always surprised to be reminded that just because I am away from the city, time has not stopped.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Von: It was a "Red Dawn" I was drining because I was extremely hung over. I think I was putting my eyes in their proper sockets when you called; still was able to wear contacts then. The messaage from the front desk was from "Evan" and I was all a-titter thinking the late Ed McBain (Evan Hunter) was at the con in Nashville, too!

Becky: I can recite a few other commercial phone numbers. Back when OUTER LIMITS was showing first run, there was a TV repair place called CET...do you recall the war drums and the deep voiced non-politically correct Indian saying CALL MOHAWK 4-4100...C-E-T...C-E-T...

Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Yvonne Navarro said...

Evan! Yes, it was Evan! Gosh, I can still recall sitting across the table from you. ::grin::

Monday, September 25, 2006 12:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Rich Studnicka said...

yes i remember the old commercials.. 588 2300 empire..which is still around and bigger..i used to race at sante fe speedway in the early70's..had a blast.. went to riverview in the 50's when i was a kid.. playland park in justice il. starelite drive in ,oak lawn..

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home