Sunday, September 10, 2006

Granddaddy Grover


Most of my life, I'd see him every Father's Day, whether he had driven up from Hialeah, Florida, or down the short distance from Dry Ridge, a little speck between Cincinnati and Lexington. But the family would all meet in this big Quonset hut in Eastwood, everyone eating KFC back when it wasn't abbreviated or pot roasts and pies. Today is Grandparents' Day, another one of those holidays that Hallmark or Lex Luthor invented. Grover was the last one to go, my mother's folks died back in the 1930s, and Busha passed away in 1992, four years earlier than my granddaddy. At the funeral, I turned to my cousin Denise and said "We are our parents now." She remembers those words well. Some lines don't need to make it into my stories. My baldness is a gift from him, the whole skipping generations thing. When I was younger, he ran a Sunoco gas station in Florida, and I would get the mascot dinosaurs made out of soap, long necked brontosauruses. I suppose I could make an aside to sitting the wrong way and getting a better understanding of what prison life might entail. But I won't. I'd rather remember our shiny bald heads and how if it wasn't for Grover I wouldn't look like The Hills Have Eyes dude (never mind my father has resembled James Rockford for three-quarters of a century). The way I've been putting these entries down lately, I might as well mention that, aside from the real anniversary tomorrow, Johnny Cash will also have been gone two years. I'm getting to the age where the dead outweigh the living...soon enough, I'll be saying "Here's my ride!" Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Hey Wayne. I had NO idea you were in the "blogosphere" but welcome. Man, I MISS you...drop by and leave some comments over at www.storytellersunplugged.com one of these days (and next opening we have, you're welcome to join us). Beth, Mark, and Brian Hodge are there, among others. It's a shared blog...of sorts.

Anyway, good to have you here...I'll spread the word ...

Dave

Monday, September 11, 2006 6:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home