Saturday, September 09, 2006

Dipple's Printshop and Joe Incredible



It was Joe that emailed me about Dan's passing, dying peacefully in his sleep last Saturday. Dan Dipple ran InstantPrint, across from the Loop Station Post Office, where I had gone for twenty years to get things velo- or spiral-bound. Dan was a big fan of Clint Eastwood, and even had a letter from Clint, thanking Dan for the offer of printing up flyers for when the actor was running for mayor of Carmel-By-The-Sea. So when I needed a cop tavern as a device for story telling, I created Dipple's PrintShop, setting it on Eastwood Avenue. The fictional in-joke was that the cop bar used to be joint that printed counterfeit money in the back room. When my fictional Dan Dipple took ownership of the place, he called it the PrintShop in honor of the cops who gave him the opportunity to buy the place. Dan was pleased to find himself tending bar and hearing cops narrate stories in "This Old Man Came Rolling Home" in the TwilightTales' BLOOD & DONUTS anthology and "The Jazz Cat of Division Street," from, um, 100 CRAFTY CAT CRIMES. In the time since I lost my job downtown, I'd known his health had worsened, though he'd had the gravelly voice of a pool hustler or card dealer for as long as I'd known him. I had expected to see Dan and give him a copy of FIENDS BY TORCHLIGHT later this month when I also inscribed one for Joe. The guy won't tell me his last name, I'm stuck with Incredible because I once had him jut his chin out for a photo so I could cut and paste it (the old-fashioned way, with scissors and tape) over an advertisement for THE INCREDIBLES video game or DVD release, something like that. Came out good, and I knew I was right, because an old black gentleman in the shop when I first told that to Joe, about his resemblance to the cartoon father, nodded his head and laughed. Blogger being what it is, it seems as if Joe and Dan are looking away from each other, Joe with a spurned look on his face. I hope Dan's laughing up in Heaven at this lucky mistake. For now, I have another immortal in my fictionalized version of my reality. Raise a glass of water or ale or mango juice to my friend Dan Dipple! I'll catch up to you one day, chum. Wayne

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Wayne.
This is Joe Incredible.
If you really want my last name I will email it to you. Are you checking for priors?
The Dan Dipple blog was very touching. I am sure that Dan got a kick out of it as well. I remember the day, vividly, when you took the pictures & the black man agreeing with you 100%.
If you do come by the shop (which I hope you will) you will see 2 posters in our windows - 2 x 3 feet - in Memory of Dan. There is a picture of Dan on the poster. He looks very cool (with sun glasses on standing by the water with rocks in the background). The unique aspect of the poster is that Dan appears to be looking at you as you walk be. I think you will find this very interesting - would be a cool photo shot.
You sounded so depressed in your last entry - it kind of pissed me off that you would be so down on yourself.
As far as the 3 hour lunch with the hooker - that would be cool - if she was hot & I didn't have to pay for it (I guesse then that she wouldn't be a hooker than - so what?)
Once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and keep your spirits up - I really enjoy reading your entries.
Regards,
Joe Incredible
Can't wait to get the book.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Yvonne Navarro said...

That's terribly sad. I used to get halftones done there of my artwork, back in the old days when I was drawing. :(

Saturday, September 09, 2006 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home