Saturday, September 02, 2006

Block 37, 1988


Earlier this week, Salma Paradise over at Live Journal mentioned my Red Lion reading and how I surprised her by not reading blood & gore but rather images of good old gritty Chicago. So it seems best that I add a photo entry that substantiates my original intentions of this web blog and the pictures I post. The block here is almost twenty years razed, only recently having been excavated to make room for the new CBS studios. Block 37, or The Spaniel Block, was a bizarre place in the 70s and 80s, back when the Greyhound terminal was still holding court at the corner of Dearborn and Randolph, off the right side of my photo. From the vantage point of where I was standing, there is now a Border's and an Argo Tea shop. I have thrown away many photos over the years, but have always held onto this one, because of the woman passing before my camera. I always--always--wonder where she was headed after the shutter clicked and I turned back to wait for the 162 Archer Express bus. --Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Wayne, your snippets and photos on the neighborhoods and stores in Chicago ought to be running in some local newspaper. You're writing history. I hope you're saving all these posts, at least.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home