Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A 9 Year old's Drawing


The attacks of 9/11 eventually shut my mind down, turning my hands to cement. I was writing nothing at all, I would have strange dreams of fighting Mohammed Atta in the mouth of a gigantic dolphin, waking up feeling as if the barometer had dropped to an all-time low. Ashley would often have a Saturday night sleepover, mostly to play games and use my computer. I had various superhero action figures that perched on my bookshelves, Hourman, Green Lantern, good old Superman. Even bad buys like Psycho-Pirate, if only for his garish costume. To cheer me up on one of these sleepover weekends, Ash drew this scene of the heroes in my room saving people jumping from the towers. My brain started working again, I ended up writing a story called "I Know I Can Never Save Her," because I realized that what 9/11 had truly done to me was take away my invincibility. I always believed that I would give my life for a stranger as well as Ashley or any family member. My niece is now in middle school and at times, I think of Columbine, but I still have the stark realization that even though I believe that I am unbreakable, we now have to deal with suicide bombers who will eventually find a way to blow themselves up wherever they please wearing explosives under a Nicoderm patch. ...Wayne

5 Comments:

Blogger Ormondroyd's Encyclopedia Esoterica said...

If you haven't yet, definitely check out the graphic novel Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan: what if a superhero had actually saved one of the towers on September 11 and then was elected mayor of New York? Three volumes so far.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

The odd things we think of when reading something intense...I'd forgotten "The Hourman," and he was one of my favorite comic heroes as a kid...

Dave

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Yvonne Navarro said...

Excellent post, Wayne.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:47:00 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I remember the people falling, or jumping from the towers. I remember it like a knot of proud flesh that I'll never be able to lance.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wanted to say that i just read a few of your short stories in The Years Best Horror Stories Ten and XV and fourteen (I think). "Take the A Train" and "Rapid Tranist." I thought they were really good stories. I am Englsih but live in Argentina (have been here for ten years now) and i picked up both volumes in a second hand book shop. I thought it would give you a kick to know that these stories are being read in Latin America almost twenyy years since you wrote them by some guy from England!

All the best,
James.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home