Tuesday, August 01, 2006

An Occurrence at the Dan Ryan Woods


It hit 117 degrees inside the print shop tonight, the heat index wasn't much lower outside, but that's not the story, chief. Its' the two year anniversary of my mugging at 87th & Western on the way home from a reading at the Red Lion. I missed the last bus to Cicero, planned to walk the 52 blocks from Western, and got punched in the face by a midget high on marijuana who wore a ring that had a double deuce set of dice on it. The kid couldn't figure out why I wasn't falling down, but my right side had yet to even register pain. A passing car called 911, the cops turned their sirens on and the kids ran off with nothing but my rolled up copy of Avengers #500. Yea, yea, I read DC, but I also read anything by Brian Michael Bendis. The cop was kind enough to take a few photos of me on his cell phone and then emailed them. I grayscaled this so no one would be creeped out by what would seem to be grievous injuries. It was mostly blood slicked by sweat on a night not unlike tonight. I've cut myself shaving and gotten worse scars. Oh, and I found out that enamel paper at the print shop is like razor sharp. But taking a webcam shot of my finger would be dull after you've seen the above shot. Maybe one day I'll post the photo from my groin injury. The stitches broke open and I was able to put my finger inside up to the first joint. If enough people comment, you'll get to see the photo, or one with just the stitches, or later, the staples. Finally, they used glue. But I digress. Go vote!...Wayne

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Whas there an occurrence at the 87th street owl creek bridge?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Wow, I think this post proves the power of narrative over image. The thought of that finger disappearing to the first joint makes me cringe more than the photo.

I need to find photos of the time back in the '80s when I got beaten up by my then girlfriend's ex boyfriend.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I vote against the groin shot. I'm with Sid. I think the words were enough.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Janet said...

Wayne, of all my not-so-many friends, you are by far the most weird....and I love you for it!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home