Saturday, July 15, 2006

Things To Read in Denver


Ed Bryant told me late that December night, after all the copies of FOR YOU, THE LIVING were signed and more than a few were sold, that Speck had died. For decades, just that one quick syllable, an errant sound effect, meant memories to Chicago. TessLass ran me around various parts of Capitol Hill in her powder blue VW so that I could find a copy of the Post or the Rocky Mountain News. It was very strange to read the obituary with the word Illinois in it, making it seem like I was much farther away than I was, and somehow more time had passed. I can't put it into simpler terms. Seeing that headline made me more aware than at any other time, before or since, that I was not in Chicago. I'm always here, this is what purgatory is. Things to read in Denver when you're dead...Wayne

2 Comments:

Blogger Hypatia said...

Places seem to leave scars on our cortices.

I don't remember finding that paper, but I do remember the pic in the car wearing my glasses.

It should have been royal blue.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Serial killers scare me too much to write about a real one.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home