Sunday, May 14, 2006

Today's Not Just About Moms & Kids



I know more couples, married or just plain shacking up, who have no kids. They have dogs and cats, the occasional goldfish. I myself have a border collie with one blue eye and one brown eye who seems to think he is related to the rabbits that were left behind when my Czech neighbors were evicted. Never mind why they had rabbits in a big cage in their yard. As usual, I've gotten off-topic. So... My good friend, my oldest writing friend going back to pre-dot matrix printers, even, Yvonne Navarro sent me an email a week ago with the subject simply being LILY. I understood what I was about to open. Lily had died. Von had bought Lily several years ago from a place on the West Coast, and she was deaf. Typical of Von, to do something good like that. Soon after, she and her husband Wes bought Goblin, the one Von is taking to the mat in the first shot. When I first saw photos of Lily, I thought back fifteen years to when Von still lived in Chicago, and she had this dog named Chanci, she'd get her to stand on his back paws, she'd point an imaginary gun, BANG! and she fell backwards, playing dead in the coolest way a dog could ever play dead. (I thought of the old broad getting revenge one day by screwing the alarm clock up or flushing the toilet with her paw when his mistress was in the shower, her little dog thought balloon reading "Feeling lucky...Von?" I wish I had the chance to see Von & Lily as I had Von & Chanci over the years. I printed out a photo of Lily and hung it on my fridge for my nieces to see, allowing me to then tell funny Von stories, but my hermaphrodite border collie Buddy the Mitch got jealous and/or hungry because I'm pretty certain I had left butter fingerprints on the edge of the printout. He grabbed at the photo and by now you must know I have a camera ready at almost all times; except for that one time I saw Elvis in that UFO with Marilyn MON-roe. So, I mourn for Von. I sincerely hope that Lily is indeed with Chancy, and might run into all my other dogs (not all named by me; don't judge) like Barbie, Mindy, Squirt, Sandy, and Pebbles. My "Ratpack" folder still has photos of all the dogs and cats that Von and Deke and Larry & Tycelia and Willy Sid & Christine have had over the years. I don't mind cats, but the thing I like most about dogs is that they are always happy to see someone awake in the middle of the night when they are. I'll bet Lily was like that. Because Von never stops typing even though she types at 200 WPM but probably needs to get a glass a water sometimes. As I do, now. And I'm lifting my glass to the best woman I've ever known, Vanna Varo in my stories, by the way. Yvonne and Lily. Always in my mind, Wayne

8 Comments:

Blogger Memoirs of a Sheila said...

Wow looks really interesting so I'm going to have a good read. I wouldn't bother trawling through my blog and looking for a poignant writing style. I get sick of writing at work so my blog is just a recreational place to blurt out post teen angst in a red tabloid, trashy, lazy style.
Some credentials you have here.
Cheers, Alicia

Monday, May 15, 2006 2:19:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

sweet post. i have a dog (cocker spaniel) as well and I feel like his mom.

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger Monkey said...

I will drink tonight.

To Lily.

Monday, May 15, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Yvonne Navarro said...

Thanks, Wayne. That was sweet. I hope my sweet Lily is, indeed, with Chanci (another sweet gal dog, by the way, who left us in 1991). We miss Lily very, very much, and I miss Chanci all over again, since losing Lily brought that back to the forefront of my memory. If anyone wants to see Lily's memorial picture, go here (my LiveJournal). I haven't had the energy to post anything else there since we lost her. You can also see Chanci and Wayne here.

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:45:00 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Sorry to hear about Lilly. Christine and I had a cat named Cleo who got killed by a car. He was a little guy and after he was gone, I used to think that maybe in the great pet beyond he'd met up with my Boxer, Samson, and that he was riding along on the big dog's back across geen hills, under sunny skies.

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Ormondroyd's Encyclopedia Esoterica said...

My sincere condolences to all those who loved Lily. For Bridget, myself, and in all our circle of friends, the brave little furred souls that share our lives count as Family.
-- Michael

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Just checking in to see your new blog, Wayne. It took me a while to find my way to it, and I finally got it through Sid's site. I'll bookmark it, however, so I can check back. Cool.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sober In the City said...

Thank you for reminding people that Mother's Day is not just about Mothers.

It is a day to pay homage to the mothering instinct within us all. Wether to children, small animals or pathetic friends. Let's celebrate the humanity!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home