Monday, May 29, 2006

Places You Only See Once


Several days ago, I went to a family funeral out in what we used to call the sticks or the boondocks. The closest big town would be Elgin. But it was the town itself that was in the boondocks, because there is development all over the place, filling in every gap between the Northwest Tollway and I-80, Illinois' great serial killer drive-thru. The night of the wake, I walked through town, seeing what the place looked like before the developers came along in the 1980s. Checked out the library, the feed stores, and the old hardware place. There were heavy thunderstorms on the 90 minute ride back east, but out there in the dark, lit up in intervals by lightning, were huge chunks of lifeless subdivisions, blobs of the same color every few miles, all the way back to Chicago.

5 Comments:

Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Maybe those places were constructed especially for you, Wayne. Maybe after you passed through the aliens who run the earth came and took them down again and put the parts up on a shelf for later. Maybe the places you saw on your journey are the same ones I saw last year on my trip through Texas. You know, maybe I better shut up. I'm sorta startin' to believe what I'm saying.

Monday, May 29, 2006 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Kind of makes me think of the fact that as the years creep along there are more and more places we don't have a reason to go back to any more--because the relative there is gone or because the last relative who has a plot in the local cemetery has been laid to rest. I have more places like that now than I care to count.

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:42:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

yea, the motto seems to be out witht the old and in with the new. i personally long for the old sometime.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

read Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon, if you haven't already. well worth it, and easy to find in bulk at used book stores.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

so the concensus is that subdivisions are bad?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home