Monday, April 03, 2006

Would You Rather...?


Let's face facts. One would think I have had very little influence on my nieces, right? It's true. Don't believe me? Here are examples: Ashley is now 14 and drawing manga and playing an acoustic guitar. The first song she learned was the theme from HALLOWEEN. No influence from me, no sir. And I can remember sitting with her in my lap listening to Barney the dinosaur sing "Down By The Sea" about fifty times in one year. When Ashley was about 7, she had a friend upstairs in my quaint living quarters that I call "Frankenstein's Den" and the friend saw all my Elvis stuff and said matter-of-factly that her mother said Elvis died from doing drugs. Now, I doubt either of the girls knew what drugs were, but Ashley felt the need to defend the King's memory. She told her friend also quite matter-of-factly that Elvis died fighting pirates. Again, I had nothing to do with this, and I have no pirate paraphernalia anywhere. Maybe there was a pirate in that Barney song. Which leads me to this: a few weeks back there was a dinner for my father's 75th birthday, and as I sat there with the rolls working on my eighth butter pat, Grace and Allie, twins and currently the same age as Ashley when she defended Elvis, confronted me with a game of Would You Rather...? Grace's first question, as a momentary lull fell over the dining room, was "Would I rather cut off my finger or lick peanut butter off of a hobo?" Again, no influence from Uncle Wayne. You think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home