Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Following Sea


I was emailing a friend in Pennsylvania about another writer friend in L.A. who committed suicide early this century. Clinical depression is a bitch, and it really is hard treading the water at times. The phrase 'the following sea' is a nautical term, one meant for boaters to be aware of the waves behind them, not just the path they are headed towards. I often find myself seeing those waves behind me--refer to my Long Thoughts post--and realize that living itself is a daily struggle we all have. I can go to the Red Lion for open mike and be around my closest friends, but eventually I am back to waiting on the el platform with a border collie at home. Buddy the Mitch, Buddy because my nieces wanted him named that, Mitch for Mitchum, thus completing the greatest film star's nickname of Bobby The Mitch. Of late, I have started calling my collie Brokeback Buddy, but that's another story, mostly PG-17. There are many things both great and small that keep me from taking the dirt nap. But it doesn't mean I can't joke, say me and Marty are in front of the Red Lion and I see the Grim Reaper with his scythe gesturing, and I'd say to Marty, "Hey, gotta go. Here's my ride." Your chattel, Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Warren Zevon would also comment "My Ride's Here" when a hearse drove by. It became the name of one of his albums. Ironically, he was diagnosed with inoperable late-stage cancer shortly after.

Friday, July 08, 2011 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home