Friday, April 28, 2006

Ellroy At Last, But With A Friend


There is a long story behind this guy with the mustache. Years ago, I had expected him to be in the news for opening fire on co-workers or a train car of commuters. He had a violent nature in every manner, and complained about every little thing. I was reading a Superman comic once and, standing near me on the el, he muttered that I should be reading Batman. He disappeared for a few years, and when I saw him again, it was apparent he had had some type of medical procedure. He had lost weight, had a vacant stare similar to my own, and, most importantly, still muttered and complained, but kept to himself. I felt like Miles Bennell in INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. I call him Ellroy because I used to be afraid to ask him his real name because there was a time he would actually swing out at other passengers and pedestrians. I have been trying to take a photo of him for months and this time I got a lagniappe--somehow the old nicotine-stain bearded meltdown from in front of the County Trust Building ended up in the photo. The only other person I have yet to photograph is this guy who listens to his Walkman, sings on the bus, and always, without fail, has several liters of Tab and drinks from one as he warbles. I'm just saying I don't make these people up, is all. --Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I can confirm several times over that the Tab is purchased at 53rd and Pulaski.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 8:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home