Friday, April 21, 2006

Back When I Worked With The Elvis Band...


We would go see Rick Saucedo perform at Field's Supper Club at 105th and Cicero, around there. He was one of the few impersonators who did the show while Elvis was alive. I saw him tonight at St. Albert the Great, Burbank's Polish church. I hadn't seen him since ChicagoFest, back when Jane Byrne was mayor. He still has a decent voice, but I got to thinking of my days with the SouthSide Jump Band and how the 70s became the 80s in a hole-in-the-wall tavern named Laurel & Hardy's at 63rd and Lawndale, and Brad did the New Year's countdown and I was soon kissed by several dozen women of all ages as I handled the light box above the stage. Saucedo performed two forty minute sets at a cost of ten dollars; I took a trip to the bathroom during the break, doused my face with water, stared in the mirror, and envied that fat bastard from Memphis because he was dead. ...Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

If you're not going to tell the story of the run out on the check, your disappearing, melting shirt, or mention little jerry, don't even tease us with that title

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home