Monday, March 20, 2006

Long Thoughts


As a kid, that was the phrase used for the guy with the longest walk home. After everybody else split, one by one, the guy left walking, even if it was just half a block and down an alley, he was the one that had the long thoughts. No one else to talk to. One by one, a small bunch left the Red Lion, and it was just Marty Mundt and I with the wind blowing towards the lake. Across the street, the Biograph was lit up inside; it was gutted, but the exterior was a landmark. Marty mentioned needing to get up for work at 5:30 and I said that the train/bus ride would take me about 90 minutes. Marty commented on how I'd spent hundreds of hours on the el, and it is true, there are many times when I wish I could hop in a car and drive, someplace, anyplace. But that is not to be in my current incarnation. So while Marty had to concentrate on traffic and turn signals, I occasionally looked up from the book I was reading and looked out at my reflection in the blackness, and had my long thoughts. Good night. Wayne

1 Comments:

Blogger Larry Santoro said...

D'oh! Now you've done it!

Wayne mentioned this 'long thoughts' notion to me the other night -- was it during "A History of Violence" or something else? -- but it tweaked something in me and I'm using it as the in-point on one of the Bluffton wrap-up pieces.

By the way, that's the Belmont stop, isn't it?

Thanks Wayne!

Larry

Come Blog With Me: http://blufftoninthedriftless.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home